Search This Blog

Saturday, July 25, 2020

More Sculpting.

I seem to have caught the sculpting bug again.
Best to make the most use of it then.😉

I started of with a conversion of a splintered light Chimera.
Instead of glueing on the three heads I sculpted it a new one and gave it a spiked ball tail, turning it into a Manticore.
I was going for a blend of human and leonine features but it's been a long time since I've tried doing faces and I had forgotten how much I struggle with them.
Even so, I think he looks pretty good on the tabletop, so I am happy with it.



And here's the little fellow with some paint on him and his cousins flanking him so you can get an idea of what the original mini looks like.



The next two sculpts are going to be another D&D classic, the Carrion Crawler.
This was actually the first monster I ever ran back when I first started playing D&D as a kid, so I've always had a bit of a soft spot for it.

Now the Carrion Crawler has gone through quite a few desingn changes throughout the various editions and they all had things I liked about them and things I didn't, therefore mine will be an amalgamation of all of those plus whatever I think looks cool or I think I can pull of within my limited sculpting abilities.

Now, because a number of people have asked about my sculpting process I thought I'd post photos of these session by session.
Be warned ,I am a very unorganised, chaotic builder / sculpter so it might get rough sometimes.

So first session:
I made an armature out of aluminium foil and promptly forgot to photograph it (don't worry I'll get the next one)
Then I covered that in a thin layer of green stuff and roughly sketched in the belly plates and started on adding the legs.
That's it for the first session.


Second session.
I added the rest of the legs and started on the head, adding a little more bulk and starting to detail the eyes.
The teeth were also adde at this stage.


I used the left over putty to sculpt the first chitin plate and there ends session two.


Session three:

Here's that armature I promised you (see I told you it was going to be unplanned and chaotic ;-)


Not really much to see there so...
...back to the sculpting,

I added the mandibles and the euh...    ...lips I guess,


And did another plate of chitin on its back.
I also decided the rear end was to plain looking so I started adding some detail there too.


Session four,
more backplates, butt detail and starting to cover the second armature with the first layer of green stuff.


Session five, more backplates...


Session six,
finished the first crawler by adding the tentacles and made some serious headway on the second one.
I actually made the tentacles, legs and mandibles ahead of time and let them fully cure before attaching them with a teeny weeny ball of green stuff and some super glue, this greatly sped up the process.


Here's a picture of the finished crawler next to a Splintered Light beastman to give you an idea of the size.


Well that's it for now.
Next time we finish the second one and get some paint on them.

Cheers,
Stroezie.

1 comment: